Importance of Carbon Monoxide Detectors11/5/2019
Do you have a carbon monoxide detector in your home? If so, have you checked the batteries recently? Just like smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors are important to have in your home. Here are some myths and facts to help you understand why it is so important.
MYTH: Carbon monoxide can be smelled when the furnace is on.
FACT: Carbon monoxide is actually colorless, tasteless, AND odorless.
MYTH: Carbon monoxide is heavier than air, so CO detectors should not be placed on the ceiling or high on the wall.
FACT: CO is slightly lighter than air. However, studies have shown no significant difference in measurements based on what height CO detectors are mounted.
MYTH: Carbon monoxide is not dangerous.
FACT: CO poisoning is the most common type of fatal indoor air poisoning in countries where cooking and heating is still dominated by fires. More than 500 Americans die each year from unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning.
MYTH: Carbon monoxide poisoning is like any other kind of poisoning.
FACT: CO bonds to hemoglobin, and instead of carrying oxygen the hemoglobin is then occupied with CO - creating carboxyhemoglobin. CO poisoning is actually the result of the head and heart not receiving sufficient oxygen... or asphyxiation.
MYTH: Carbon monoxide detectors are in perfect working order if they beep when the test button is pushed.
FACT: Gas sensors in CO alarms have a limited lifespan, generally less than 6 years. The test button on common CO alarms only tests the battery, not the CO gas sensor.
Installing a CO alarm is a low-cost way of significantly reducing your risk of CO poisoning. Protect yourself and your family today! For more information, visit https://healthybuildingscience.com/2013/02/22/carbon-monoxide-facts/.